SJP #022: Nicole Johnson: Stepping Off the Crazy Train: Tips for Creating Calm in the Center of CrazyAug 14, 2017
Simply Joyful Podcast — Nicole Johnson: Stepping off the Crazy Train: Tips for Creating Calm in the Center of Crazy
Life can get a little crazy at times. Sometimes seasons of “crazy” seem to keep hitting over and over again. There may never seem to be a break from the chaos. Now, I say this as a homeschooling mom of five who currently has another family of six living under her roof. If anyone gets crazy, it’s me.
Creating balance and calm in the middle of craziness is a must. It’s an art. I’ve learned to step back and say no to a lot of different things when we have busy seasons. Yet, sometimes that’s not enough.
Today I have a very special guest, Nicole Johnson. We are going to be chatting about her new book, Creating Calm in the Center of Crazy. Like so many of us, Nicole found herself in a vicious cycle of “crazy.” She shares about her turning point in her crazy life that drove her to create more calm in her life. We can’t always control the circumstances in our lives that are causing a little “crazy” in our lives, but we can find ways to create more calm right in the center of our crazy.
Grab your favorite drink and settle in—you are going to LOVE this episode! Get ready to be encouraged!
Highlights from the Show:
- Nicole shares a little bit about writing and performing dramas (for the last twenty-two years!)—mostly with Women of Faith. She shares a little about working with Women of Faith for fifteen years.
- “My wake up call for how crazy life had gotten was there wasn’t any joy. There wasn’t room to feel. It wasn’t fun. It didn’t have the kind of fun life should have.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- “When the only way you don’t know if something is working is that it explodes, it’s not right.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- “Make peace with distraction.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- I ask Nicole to share a little about her crisis (which she also shares in her book) that caused her to stop and look at the crazy in her life.
- “This is the power of a crisis. It focuses your attention. There’s a lot of clarity and a lot of things you can see more clearly when the bottom falls out.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- “Women are the worst about trying to taking care of ourselves.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- “Heart attacks are the number one killer of women. Not because we have more heart attacks than men, but because ours are more fatal because we ignore our symptoms.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- “It’s hard for women to stop and say ‘I’m going down and I need help.' The big message of this book is “Slow down while you still can. Slow down while you still have something to slow down for.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- “Taking care of yourself is so important in order to take care of others.” KRISTI CLOVER
- I ask Nicole to share how we get past that guilty feeling we get when we take care of ourselves first.
- I mention how Wendy Speake’s episode (Life Creative Starts at Home) is one of my most downloaded episodes. When we talk about her book, Life Creative, we talk about how important it is not to give up on your dreams and talents.
- “I want to show my daughter that her dreams matter because my dreams matter.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- “It’s very natural in motherhood to be juggling a lot of balls, you just have to pick and prioritize which balls you are choosing to juggle at one time.” KRISTI CLOVER
- I ask Nicole to share about the seven letter word that she would like to see eliminated.
- “I make peace with limping. I can’t have balance—life doesn’t work that way.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- “We have this value that says, ‘Jesus is coming. Look busy.'” NICOLE JOHNSON
- “We have substituted busy for meaning.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- “As a culture we are addicted to crazy. We are always on the bleeding edge of burn out.” KRISTI CLOVER
- “When your life is crazy busy for a long time, it’s more about crazy that it is about busy.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- I ask Nicole where on the crazy busy scale she would put the Proverbs 31 woman.
- “We have to look at the long view. We have look at the capacity as well.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- “Often times the most joy comes from the simplest, most innocent, most honest things.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- I ask Nicole to share about distractions and the art of being still and ask her to share tips on how busy moms can find a moment of stillness in their day.
- “Making peace with getting still is one of the biggest steps.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- “It’s amazing what comes to our mind when we get still.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- “Getting still is the best solution I have found to getting calm.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- “We need to learn to breathe.” KRISTI CLOVER
- “Christians have lost their connection with ancient practices that used to be the norm.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- “We need to give ourselves permission to down shift into stillness.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- “We’re never going to stop having stress in our life until we’re standing face to face with the creator—but we can reduce it.” KRISTI CLOVER
- “When we say no, it allows other people to say yes.” KRISTI CLOVER
- “The only way to build a team is to stop doing everything.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- “The ‘no' that we offer is a ‘yes' to our families.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- I ask Nicole to share a little more about the rejection, pain, and hurt that we feel from the crisis.
- “Any survival skill can become a way of hurting others if we’re still using it to survive when we don’t need it to survive anymore.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- “What isn’t transformed, is transferred.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- Nicole shares a personal story about her daughter having the courage to share about a fear.
- “You have to face your fear or you will always be running.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- “If we don’t run to Him, we can’t receive His healing.” KRISTI CLOVER
- “Practice makes perfect. Practice makes habit. Practice makes routine.” NICOLE JOHNSON
- Women of Faith
- Seasons Weekend
- Fresh-Brewed Life: A Stirring Invitation to Wake Up Your Soul
- Creating Calm in the Center of Crazy: Making Room for Your Soul in an Overcrowded Life
- Keeping a Princess Heart: In a Not-So-Fairy-Tale World
- Life Creative: Inspiration for Today's Renaissance Mom
- The Invisible Woman: A Special Story for Mothers
- Sanity Savers for Moms: Simple Solutions for a More Joy-filled Life
- Covenant Eyes
Be Sure to Connect with Nicole Online:
Connect with Me, too!
Are you new to the Simply Joyful Podcast?
- Join our Simply Joyful Community!: Get encouraging newsletters and a FREE digital copy of my Sanity Savers for Moms book!
- Support the Simply Joyful Podcast: Keep the podcast alive with a small monthly donation. (Thanks so much!)
- Join our Facebook Community, too!: Lots of great conversations and encouragement happening there!
- Check out “My Favorite Things” on Amazon!: See my top recommendations for home organization products, great books, gift ideas, holiday decor, and more!
- Listen to the podcast on your favorite podcast app! Be sure to subscribe, rate, and review the podcast, too, to help others find the Simply Joyful Podcast!!
- Get behind-the-scenes details: I do special videos and live videos on YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook!
- Wanna get healthy with me?: Yep, I'm a health and weight loss coach. I didn’t mention that I have a weight loss program that I love called Optavia! If you are interested in learning more about that and my special coaching program, just head HERE for more info.
LOOKING FOR HELP WITH HOMESCHOOLING?
You may not have seen that I have a brand new How to Homeschool webinar that is now available for instant access. This webinar is ALL of my best homeschooling tips gathered from the six years of speaking at homeschool conventions all wrapped up into one webinar. This is a crazy-amazing resource for you or anyone you know who may be considering homeschooling for the first time ever. With all the new homeschool families this year, I wanted to make sure they had all the best resources possible. The webinar goes over how to get started, how to homeschool simply (even without curriculum), how to balance homeschooling with working at home and just life, how to save money, how to homeschool your school-aged kids with littles in the house…and so much more!
Plus no matter where you are at with your homeschool or “schooling at home” journey, my Ultimate Homeschool Organization course is updated and on sale NOW!
Head over to KristiClover.com/homeschoolwebinar to learn about the webinar or HomeschoolOrganization.com to check out my incredible course. I’ve helped over 1000 families learn how to thrive in their homeschooling and I’d love to help you too.
GET A FREE DIGITAL COPY OF MY SANITY SAVERS FOR MOMS BOOK!
Join our community of moms looking for encouragement to find simple solutions to bring more joy into their #momlife.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.