SJP #023: JJ Heller: The Power of Music & Storytelling: Stepping out in Faith & Trusting God!Aug 21, 2017
Simply Joyful Podcast — JJ Heller: The Power of Music & Storytelling: Stepping out in Faith & Trusting God
Years ago the Hellers performed at my church, and when they told the stories behind their songs I just remember being memorized. It made the songs come to life! If you know me, you know one of my passions is worship music. I have been a worship leader since I was 15—that’s when I started singing. I used to be absolutely terrified. It was so hard for me to step out and sing in front of someone.
I have such a heart for worship, that I tend to think in terms of music. Music does something to us. It moves us and evokes incredible emotions. Music speaks to us. JJ and Dave’s music touch lives in ways, I know, they never expected. You are going to be blown away how God works in the lives of people who step forward in faith. If you are not familiar with her music, you are going to be addicted!
I hope you enjoy my conversation with the Hellers! Get ready to be encouraged!
Highlights from the Show:
- One of the funniest things I learned in this episode was JJ's love for finding good food when she travels. Since I have had a busy year of traveling to homeschool conventions, I loved hearing how she took the time to enjoy the food from the area she was in. Now, who doesn't get a little joy from good food?
- I ask the Hellers to share a little about themselves and their family and what they do. Music wasn’t something they were planning on for a career—God had other plans!
- I ask Dave and JJ to share the story behind the song What Love Really Means and a little about how their ministry got started.
- We wanted to sing the songs that weren’t necessarily “commercial”. We wanted to sing the songs that God laid on our hearts. –JJ Heller
- God was able to use my pain and turn it into a song and in turn use it to touch thousands of lives. —JJ Heller
- Growing always hurts. —JJ Heller
- I ask the Hellers to share how their song writing has changed through the years.
- We wrote a bunch of songs that we wanted our kids to hear as they were going to sleep. —Dave Heller on I Dream of You
- Even though we had low expectations for this album, it has become one of the most listened to albums of JJ’s career. —Dave Heller on I Dream of You
- To see the way the Lord has used this album has totally blown my mind. —JJ Heller on I Dream of You
- God is the one that is going to take those gifts and take those talents and multiply them. —Kristi Clover
- The Hellers have partnered with many hospitals and NCUs with their Lullaby Project. I ask them to share about some other organizations that they have been partnering with.
- World Vision | MOPS International
- JJ Heller had the honor of recording this year's MOPS theme song.
- JJ shares a little about what tour life looks like with a daughter in elementary school and a preschooler at home.
- I ask the Hellers to share about being business partners as well as husband and wife.
- Sometimes you feel like a queen and king, and sometimes you feel like you’re in a trailer park, but we get to share the ups and downs of life together and it makes our relationships that much more rich. —Dave Heller
- Dave shares something that he and JJ do when they are on the road to make it a happy place and not just a grueling grind of being on the road.
- I ask JJ to share about the new project they are doing this year—releasing a song a month. JJ shares about the song for August called Paving the Runway which is about parenting (get ready to tear up listening to it! It's such a great song!)
- The hard part is letting them go so they can fly. —JJ Heller
- Dave shares about JJ’s new found love of putting together playlists on Spotify! Check out JJ’s playlists here!
- Want to see when JJ will be in your town? Be sure to follow her on Bandsintown.com/jjheller
- Your Hands
- I Dream of You
- What Love Really Means I Get to be the One
- The Golden Feather
- Covenant Eyes
Be Sure to Connect with JJ Online:
Connect with Me, too!
Are you new to the Simply Joyful Podcast?
- Join our Simply Joyful Community!: Get encouraging newsletters and a FREE digital copy of my Sanity Savers for Moms book!
- Support the Simply Joyful Podcast: Keep the podcast alive with a small monthly donation. (Thanks so much!)
- Join our Facebook Community, too!: Lots of great conversations and encouragement happening there!
- Check out “My Favorite Things” on Amazon!: See my top recommendations for home organization products, great books, gift ideas, holiday decor, and more!
- Listen to the podcast on your favorite podcast app! Be sure to subscribe, rate, and review the podcast, too, to help others find the Simply Joyful Podcast!!
- Get behind-the-scenes details: I do special videos and live videos on YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook!
- Wanna get healthy with me?: Yep, I'm a health and weight loss coach. I didn’t mention that I have a weight loss program that I love called Optavia! If you are interested in learning more about that and my special coaching program, just head HERE for more info.
LOOKING FOR HELP WITH HOMESCHOOLING?
You may not have seen that I have a brand new How to Homeschool webinar that is now available for instant access. This webinar is ALL of my best homeschooling tips gathered from the six years of speaking at homeschool conventions all wrapped up into one webinar. This is a crazy-amazing resource for you or anyone you know who may be considering homeschooling for the first time ever. With all the new homeschool families this year, I wanted to make sure they had all the best resources possible. The webinar goes over how to get started, how to homeschool simply (even without curriculum), how to balance homeschooling with working at home and just life, how to save money, how to homeschool your school-aged kids with littles in the house…and so much more!
Plus no matter where you are at with your homeschool or “schooling at home” journey, my Ultimate Homeschool Organization course is updated and on sale NOW!
Head over to KristiClover.com/homeschoolwebinar to learn about the webinar or HomeschoolOrganization.com to check out my incredible course. I’ve helped over 1000 families learn how to thrive in their homeschooling and I’d love to help you too.
GET A FREE DIGITAL COPY OF MY SANITY SAVERS FOR MOMS BOOK!
Join our community of moms looking for encouragement to find simple solutions to bring more joy into their #momlife.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.