SJP #024: Denise Hughes: Digging Deep: How to Dive into God's Life Giving WordAug 28, 2017
Simply Joyful Podcast — Denise Hughes: Digging Deep: How to Dive into God's Life Giving Word
Everyone knows that the key to a fruitful life in Christ starts with getting into the Word. However, it's really easy to stare at that big Book and not know where to start. I'm a total Bible nerd, yet, I sometimes struggle to figure out what I want to study next.
Most of you know I'm a big fan of Denise Hughes's Word Writer Bible study series. It's so perfect for busy moms! Denise and I first met two years ago at a writer's luncheon. Today, I have the privilege of “introducing” you to her. We're going to be talking about her Bible study series and her new book Deeper Waters: Immersed in Life-Changing Truths of God. Denise has such a great story to tell about how God emptied her out and filled her up again. I know you will be encouraged in your own walk with the Lord.
I cannot wait for you to hear this episode! Get ready to be encouraged!
Highlights from the Show:
- Denise says instead of everyone rushing around on Sunday mornings looking for where they last left their Bibles, she has a basket on their fireplace hearth that she keeps everyone's Bible—perfect for after dinner when they gather for family Bible time.
- Denise is also a believer of keeping everything simple. If they don't need something, or don't use it regularly, she's more than happy to donate it
- Be sure to check out Denise's website for more information on her Deeper Waters Retreat. Also, you can see more of her writing on the (in)courage website.
- I ask Denise to share about the medical scare in her family that led to her knowing to hold her hands open to God.
- There is no easy, pat answer when you’re talking about human life. —Denise Hughes
- I share the heartbreaking story of the unexpected passing of my father-in-law.
- I ask Denise to share a little about her Bible studies Word Writers — my favorite!
- Denise shares the story of where the idea for Word Writers came from — an event that happened in her life when she was 12.
- Denise talks about her new book, Deeper Waters.
- There are so many books out there that tell you why you need to study the Bible, or how to study the Bible, but few books share why they struggle when studying the Bible. —Denise Hughes
- We throw out all these stories, but often times we don’t have the foundation. — Kristi Clover
- It’s alarming how much Biblical illiteracy that is happening in this generation. — Denise Hughes
- I love teaching books, but there is only one Living Word. —Denise Hughes
- Denise shares how Ezra 7:10 is the core verse for her book.
- Ezra 7:10
- The more research I did on Ezra, the more I fell in love with this time. —Denise Hughes
- Ezra was a word writer. — Denise Hughes
- I ask Denise to share the doubts that she has had throughout the years and how God worked through her doubt.
- It’s ok to doubt. —Kristi Clover
- Matthew 7:24-27
- At some point we must make our faith our own. —Denise Hughes
- I knew the Sunday school stories, but I didn’t really know the Bible. —Denise Hughes
- Being a lover of words, we have to take God’s word in context. —Kristi Clover
- I ask Denise to expound a little bit about the voices in our lives that she talks about in her book. I also ask her to share some ways we, as women, can slow down and listen to His still small voice.
- Read it. Write it. Pray it. —Denise Hughes
- By His word, we will know his voice. —Denise Hughes
- Psalm 119:18
- The Holy Spirit can teach us something new every time we come to His word. —Denise Hughes
- Lisa-Jo Baker
- Wendy Speake
- Pam Farrell
- Tricia Goyer
- Check out the Mud Stories Podcast with Jacque Watkins here!
- Blueletter Bible
- Bible Gateway
- Deeper Waters: Immersed in the Life-Changing Truth of God's Word
- Moms Night Out
- HCSB Study Bible
- Homeschool Basics
- King George and the Ducky
- Word Writers
- Covenant Eyes
Be Sure to Connect with Denise Online:
Connect with Me, too!
Are you new to the Simply Joyful Podcast?
- Join our Simply Joyful Community!: Get encouraging newsletters and a FREE digital copy of my Sanity Savers for Moms book!
- Support the Simply Joyful Podcast: Keep the podcast alive with a small monthly donation. (Thanks so much!)
- Join our Facebook Community, too!: Lots of great conversations and encouragement happening there!
- Check out “My Favorite Things” on Amazon!: See my top recommendations for home organization products, great books, gift ideas, holiday decor, and more!
- Listen to the podcast on your favorite podcast app! Be sure to subscribe, rate, and review the podcast, too, to help others find the Simply Joyful Podcast!!
- Get behind-the-scenes details: I do special videos and live videos on YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook!
- Wanna get healthy with me?: Yep, I'm a health and weight loss coach. I didn’t mention that I have a weight loss program that I love called Optavia! If you are interested in learning more about that and my special coaching program, just head HERE for more info.
LOOKING FOR HELP WITH HOMESCHOOLING?
You may not have seen that I have a brand new How to Homeschool webinar that is now available for instant access. This webinar is ALL of my best homeschooling tips gathered from the six years of speaking at homeschool conventions all wrapped up into one webinar. This is a crazy-amazing resource for you or anyone you know who may be considering homeschooling for the first time ever. With all the new homeschool families this year, I wanted to make sure they had all the best resources possible. The webinar goes over how to get started, how to homeschool simply (even without curriculum), how to balance homeschooling with working at home and just life, how to save money, how to homeschool your school-aged kids with littles in the house…and so much more!
Plus no matter where you are at with your homeschool or “schooling at home” journey, my Ultimate Homeschool Organization course is updated and on sale NOW!
Head over to KristiClover.com/homeschoolwebinar to learn about the webinar or HomeschoolOrganization.com to check out my incredible course. I’ve helped over 1000 families learn how to thrive in their homeschooling and I’d love to help you too.
GET A FREE DIGITAL COPY OF MY SANITY SAVERS FOR MOMS BOOK!
Join our community of moms looking for encouragement to find simple solutions to bring more joy into their #momlife.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.