SJP #043: Alexandra Kuykendall: Contentment at Christmas: Letting Go of Our Holiday ExpectationsDec 11, 2017
Simply Joyful Podcast — Alexandra Kuykendall: Contentment at Christmas: Letting Go of Our Holiday Expectations
Today is all things Christmas! Alexandra Kuykendall is my guest today and we're going to be talking a lot about Christmas, including an experiment that she did in her home last Christmas. It was really interesting! She wrote a book all about it called Loving My Actual Christmas. Can I hear a little “Amen” out there? Too many times we look on social media and we start thinking, “Oh I wish we did this or that,” when we really need to slow down and just enjoy this season for what it is. Even if you don't get to all the traditions that you want to, take time to savor this Christmas! I want to help you to give yourself permission this season to slow down. To pick one or two things, with your family, and enjoy this Christmas fully!
I can't wait for you to hear this episode with Alexandra—and Merry Christmas! Get ready to be encouraged!
Highlights from the Show:
- Alexandra (who also goes by Alex) explains that sometimes in her life of being a mom of four girls, she sometimes just feels like a taxi driver.
- Alex is the cohost of The Open Door Sisterhood Podcast
- Why do we feel so much extra pressure around Christmas? Well, Alex and I tackle this question. Alex took a totally different approach to trying to figure out a solution to simplify her Christmas.
- The plan had been for her to write a book about her doing an experiment in relishing the season. However, when Alex's stepfather passed away the year she planned to do the experiment, it ended up adding so much more extra meaning to the experiment.
- Each week of the “Loving My Actual Christmas” experiment, Alex focused on a different theme surrounding Advent: Love, joy, peace, and hope. She also taught me what “Christmastide” was. I'd never heard that name for the 12 days following Christmas before.
- Thankfully Alex explained what a Liturgical calendar was. I was unfamiliar with the term having grown up in a Protestant church.
- Being in the moment was one of the major lessons that Alex learned during her experiment.
- Family traditions are fun, but can be create extra busyness. It's good to figure out what's most important to you and your family, so you know what to say “no” to.
- I loved hearing about some of her family's traditions while celebrating God's arrival 12 days after Christmas during Christmastide. One thing she shared was to celebrate “Boxing Day” with a twist by “sending” people love in their “boxes”: email boxes, voicemail boxes, and so forth. Very creative. I loved this idea!
- After the experiment last year, I was curious about what Christmas looks like in Alex's home this year.
* A Few of my fun Christmas posts:
- Savoring the Season — & Not Blowing Your Budget
- How to Simplify the Season — as first seen on the IEW blog!
* A Few other things mentioned:
Be Sure to Connect with Alexandra Online:
Connect with Me, too!
Are you new to the Simply Joyful Podcast?
- Join our Simply Joyful Community!: Get encouraging newsletters and a FREE digital copy of my Sanity Savers for Moms book!
- Support the Simply Joyful Podcast: Keep the podcast alive with a small monthly donation. (Thanks so much!)
- Join our Facebook Community, too!: Lots of great conversations and encouragement happening there!
- Check out “My Favorite Things” on Amazon!: See my top recommendations for home organization products, great books, gift ideas, holiday decor, and more!
- Listen to the podcast on your favorite podcast app! Be sure to subscribe, rate, and review the podcast, too, to help others find the Simply Joyful Podcast!!
- Get behind-the-scenes details: I do special videos and live videos on YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook!
- Wanna get healthy with me?: Yep, I'm a health and weight loss coach. I didn’t mention that I have a weight loss program that I love called Optavia! If you are interested in learning more about that and my special coaching program, just head HERE for more info.
LOOKING FOR HELP WITH HOMESCHOOLING?
You may not have seen that I have a brand new How to Homeschool webinar that is now available for instant access. This webinar is ALL of my best homeschooling tips gathered from the six years of speaking at homeschool conventions all wrapped up into one webinar. This is a crazy-amazing resource for you or anyone you know who may be considering homeschooling for the first time ever. With all the new homeschool families this year, I wanted to make sure they had all the best resources possible. The webinar goes over how to get started, how to homeschool simply (even without curriculum), how to balance homeschooling with working at home and just life, how to save money, how to homeschool your school-aged kids with littles in the house…and so much more!
Plus no matter where you are at with your homeschool or “schooling at home” journey, my Ultimate Homeschool Organization course is updated and on sale NOW!
Head over to KristiClover.com/homeschoolwebinar to learn about the webinar or HomeschoolOrganization.com to check out my incredible course. I’ve helped over 1000 families learn how to thrive in their homeschooling and I’d love to help you too.
GET A FREE DIGITAL COPY OF MY SANITY SAVERS FOR MOMS BOOK!
Join our community of moms looking for encouragement to find simple solutions to bring more joy into their #momlife.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.