SJP #045: Michele Cushatt: Encouragement for When You Feel Like You're Not EnoughJan 12, 2018
Simply Joyful Podcast — Michele Cushatt: Encouragement for When You Feel Like You're Not Enough
Why do we so often beat ourselves up? Sometimes the “mean girl” we encounter in life isn't harassing us in the real world, she's in our head. Well, today we are going to be talking about how to deal with those negative thoughts. My very special guest today is Michele Cushatt. Michele has wonderful encouragement and advice on how to deal with not only the mean-spirited thoughts that circle around in our minds but also how to handle actual comments that hurt our feelings.
Michele has quite a unique story to tell after all she's dealt with over the past several years. So often on the podcast, we talk about the importance of stepping out of our comfort zones and using the gifts and talents that God has given us. Well, what do you do when you do step out in faith — and trials happen? It can make you start doubting yourself and what God's call is.
We are covering all that today. How to “shush” the negativity in our heads and how to lean in on God's amazing strength to find the courage to keep going on. You are going to LOVE Michele and listening in to all she has to share. I really can't begin to tell you how excited I am to have her on the show today. I'm a huge fan of hers and I know you will be too after you hear today's episode.
You will be blown away by this conversation with Michele! Get ready to be encouraged!
Highlights from the Show:
- Michele is a wife and a mom of (wait for it) SIX kids—ages 10 – 25. She’s a speaker and an author. Her latest book is I Am — and trust me — you guys need this book!
- We jump right in with our interview with a reader question from Tricia Goyer! Michele chats a little about her time in Africa with Tricia and about “starting over” with kids.
- We giggled as Michele shared how after raising three boys, the empty nest years were looking like the promise land! Ha! Then God changed her life with a phone call — and brought the mission field to her door.
- “Cancer isn’t something that happens to everyone, but can happen to you.” — Michele shares more about how her life was changed so dramatically after being diagnosed with cancer of the tongue — and then getting the call to take in three children.
- I shared how I remembered listening to Michael Hyatt's podcast, which she co-hosted, about her recovery from her dramatic surgery. I just about cried when I heard her on the air again. It was so incredible.
- Together we chat about hiding in today’s culture. It’s so easy — with social media, and everything needing to be “Pinterest perfect”. We need to be real. We need to step out with boldness and realize that we can’t do things without His strength.
- Michele shares about how her book, I Am, came about and what started out as a book on identity for teenage girls, became a book and a message Michele realized she needed to hear herself.
- Michele gives tips to quiet the negative voice in our heads — and while it’s hard with all that bombards us, we can overcome it with His strength and His help. My favorite tip of Michele’s is to combat these negative thoughts with the truth of the Scriptures.
- We also chat about what to do when the comments aren’t from us, aren’t internal, Michele shares a heartbreaking story of when someone’s good intentions felt more like digging a knife into a raw wound. The comment was so hurtful, but she dealt with it — both inward and outward — with grace.
- I referred back to my podcast episode with Tricia Goyer.
- Of course, I can't mention Tricia without also mentioning our book, Homeschool Basics!
- We'll be doing an official launch of the book next month.
- I also mention Michael Hyatt's podcast with Michele.
- You can check out both of Michele's podcasts HERE.
- I shared about my exciting brand new “BONUS” podcast episode on “How to Set Better Goals in 2018!” that was just released on our Simply Joyful Membership site.
- My Meal Planning Made Easy Course is coming out in early February. I have a free Holiday Meal Planning Mini-Course out now if you want to check it out.
- I also mentioned about how I'd love to help you start your business journey and help you create a business that you love! I'm working on putting together a business program, and if this is something you'd be interested in learning more, please fill out the form HERE.
- I Am
- Homeschool Basics
- Undone Is Beautiful
- Walk It Out
Be Sure to Connect with Michele Online:
Connect with Me, too!
Are you new to the Simply Joyful Podcast?
- Join our Simply Joyful Community!: Get encouraging newsletters and a FREE digital copy of my Sanity Savers for Moms book!
- Support the Simply Joyful Podcast: Keep the podcast alive with a small monthly donation. (Thanks so much!)
- Join our Facebook Community, too!: Lots of great conversations and encouragement happening there!
- Check out “My Favorite Things” on Amazon!: See my top recommendations for home organization products, great books, gift ideas, holiday decor, and more!
- Listen to the podcast on your favorite podcast app! Be sure to subscribe, rate, and review the podcast, too, to help others find the Simply Joyful Podcast!!
- Get behind-the-scenes details: I do special videos and live videos on YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook!
- Wanna get healthy with me?: Yep, I'm a health and weight loss coach. I didn’t mention that I have a weight loss program that I love called Optavia! If you are interested in learning more about that and my special coaching program, just head HERE for more info.
LOOKING FOR HELP WITH HOMESCHOOLING?
You may not have seen that I have a brand new How to Homeschool webinar that is now available for instant access. This webinar is ALL of my best homeschooling tips gathered from the six years of speaking at homeschool conventions all wrapped up into one webinar. This is a crazy-amazing resource for you or anyone you know who may be considering homeschooling for the first time ever. With all the new homeschool families this year, I wanted to make sure they had all the best resources possible. The webinar goes over how to get started, how to homeschool simply (even without curriculum), how to balance homeschooling with working at home and just life, how to save money, how to homeschool your school-aged kids with littles in the house…and so much more!
Plus no matter where you are at with your homeschool or “schooling at home” journey, my Ultimate Homeschool Organization course is updated and on sale NOW!
Head over to KristiClover.com/homeschoolwebinar to learn about the webinar or HomeschoolOrganization.com to check out my incredible course. I’ve helped over 1000 families learn how to thrive in their homeschooling and I’d love to help you too.
GET A FREE DIGITAL COPY OF MY SANITY SAVERS FOR MOMS BOOK!
Join our community of moms looking for encouragement to find simple solutions to bring more joy into their #momlife.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.