SJP #047: Jamie Ivey: The Importance of Being Real & Sharing Our God StoryJan 26, 2018
Simply Joyful Podcast — Jamie Ivey: The Importance of Being Real & Sharing Our God Story
It’s easy to feel like if people really knew you, they may not like what they see. So often the choices we made years ago still haunt us. Then there are those moments when we decide to open up with someone just to be hurt with rejection or judgement. Yet, it’s so important to stay real with each other. Hard, but important.
Well, my amazing guest today, Jamie Ivey, is known for her dazzling smile and encouraging podcast called, “The Happy Hour.” Jamie is releasing her first book in a few days called If You Only Knew. In her book, she openly shares about some deeply personal things that happened in her life. I’ll let her tell you more about it on the podcast. But what is so neat is that through all her mistakes and bad choices she could feel God chasing after her. She describes it as one of the scariest things in her life.
As I read her book, a song by Natalie Grant kept running through my head — “The Real Me.” If you haven’t heard it, then you should check it out. It’s a song about how God sees the “real me.” He sees through all of our brokenness and loves us. It’s a perfect match for this book. Here I am again…pairing books with music. I seriously can’t help myself. I think in music sometimes.
It was so much fun to turn the tables on Jamie and have the chance to interview one of my favorite podcasters. I also loved learning about how she got her start. I didn’t know the backstory.
I can’t wait for you to listen into my conversation with the one and only, Jamie Ivey. Get ready to be encouraged!
Highlights from the Show:
- We kick off the episode with Jamie telling a little bit of her story — and how she got started podcasting. It's a great story!
- Jamie shares why she felt led to write a book and share her story on paper. She says that writing a book was super hard for her, and how it’s very story driven.
- It took her a long time to believe the redemption that God gave her.
- The Bible is filled with stories, and that’s so often how God teaches us things, too — through stories. I loved how Jamie talks about how we need to stop looking at our stories as failures and instead look at them as examples of God’s faithfulness.
- I asked Jamie to share a little more about why she thinks it is that people have such a hard time sharing their stories.
- I love Jamie's God-story! I also loved how she referred to God's pursuit of her as one of the scariest things in her life. (This was also my favorite chapter in the book.)
- So many times we say “yes” to God, but then we change our minds about living fully for Him. I think so much of the time this is the thing that really confuses people, and makes them question whether they are really saved. I loved reading in Jamie’s book about when she truly found true freedom and was able to walk in Him.
- I think everyone has that “one thing,” that something that they hold close and only share with just a few people. Jamie encourages people to get past that and to be real with each other.
- One of the things Jamie mentions in the book is the story of The Scarlett Letter and how, just like in the classic book, we pin letters to ourselves and walk around feeling like everyone knows. When we get used to wearing those labels and “letters” — they become our identities. This isn’t how it’s supposed to be! It all goes back to — “Who am I?” I love how Jamie shares that we are children of God and a daughter of the King. It doesn’t matter what we do in our day-to-day it doesn’t change our identity or our standing.
- As an absolute teaser (sorry), since we only mention it in the podcast, I told Jamie how much I loved her story in the book about her courtship with her husband — and there’s the particular scene where they are on a beach and…oh! *sigh* you really need to read the book. So, so beautiful.
- We had such a great reader question this week! Jamie shares about what her life looked like pre-podcast when she had littles running around!
- I shared about my new YouTube video up 5 Tips to Get Your New Year's Resolutions Back on Track! I hope it helps you get your goals back on track!
- I'm also working on putting together a business program, and if this is something you'd be interested in learning more, please fill out the form HERE. — I'd love to help you create the business of your dreams!
- If You Only Knew
- The Real Me
- The Scarlet Letter
Be Sure to Connect with Jamie Online:
Connect with Me, too!
Are you new to the Simply Joyful Podcast?
- Join our Simply Joyful Community!: Get encouraging newsletters and a FREE digital copy of my Sanity Savers for Moms book!
- Support the Simply Joyful Podcast: Keep the podcast alive with a small monthly donation. (Thanks so much!)
- Join our Facebook Community, too!: Lots of great conversations and encouragement happening there!
- Check out “My Favorite Things” on Amazon!: See my top recommendations for home organization products, great books, gift ideas, holiday decor, and more!
- Listen to the podcast on your favorite podcast app! Be sure to subscribe, rate, and review the podcast, too, to help others find the Simply Joyful Podcast!!
- Get behind-the-scenes details: I do special videos and live videos on YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook!
- Wanna get healthy with me?: Yep, I'm a health and weight loss coach. I didn’t mention that I have a weight loss program that I love called Optavia! If you are interested in learning more about that and my special coaching program, just head HERE for more info.
LOOKING FOR HELP WITH HOMESCHOOLING?
You may not have seen that I have a brand new How to Homeschool webinar that is now available for instant access. This webinar is ALL of my best homeschooling tips gathered from the six years of speaking at homeschool conventions all wrapped up into one webinar. This is a crazy-amazing resource for you or anyone you know who may be considering homeschooling for the first time ever. With all the new homeschool families this year, I wanted to make sure they had all the best resources possible. The webinar goes over how to get started, how to homeschool simply (even without curriculum), how to balance homeschooling with working at home and just life, how to save money, how to homeschool your school-aged kids with littles in the house…and so much more!
Plus no matter where you are at with your homeschool or “schooling at home” journey, my Ultimate Homeschool Organization course is updated and on sale NOW!
Head over to KristiClover.com/homeschoolwebinar to learn about the webinar or HomeschoolOrganization.com to check out my incredible course. I’ve helped over 1000 families learn how to thrive in their homeschooling and I’d love to help you too.
GET A FREE DIGITAL COPY OF MY SANITY SAVERS FOR MOMS BOOK!
Join our community of moms looking for encouragement to find simple solutions to bring more joy into their #momlife.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.