SJP #048: Jessica Kastner: The Good, the Bad, & the Crazy Side of MotherhoodFeb 02, 2018
Simply Joyful Podcast — Jessica Kastner: The Good, the Bad, & the Crazy Side of Motherhood
Learning to laugh in the midst of the craziness of motherhood is vital. When I first became a mom I took everything so seriously. There was this internal pressure to get everything, from my homemaking to my parenting, perfect. Somewhere around my second year of parenting my perfection bubble was popped. I learned to let go of the small stuff — even the spilled organic milk — and just laugh at the craziness that often filled our day.
There is a certain amount of peace that comes with letting go. Elsa was onto something. Ha!
Today, I have the distinct pleasure of introducing you to Jessica Kastner. Jessica is the mom to three boys and the author of Hiding From the Kids in My Prayer Closet. If you don’t catch it from that title, Jessica is so much fun. I hide from my kids, too, sometimes. They always seem to find me though. Sometimes I just need a moment to breath or attempt to find quiet.
This interview today is sure to get you laughing along with us. Jessica and I had so much fun giggling over some of our favorite mommy moments. She offers so many great tips about finding the humor in parenting. You are going to truly enjoy this episode.
I can’t wait for you to listen in and gut-laugh along with us! Get ready to be encouraged!
Highlights from the Show:
- Jessica is a “boy mom” — and also a publicist, author, and contributor to a few publications (so basically an underachiever — ha!)
- We chat about her book, Hiding from the Kids in my Prayer Closet and the general public’s reaction to it — this isn’t your everyday book on motherhood.
- We talk about the expectations of motherhood — the ones we put on ourselves either from our childhood or from outside influences.
- Jessica defines the “un-mom.” This is such a great and relatable definition of what some moms truly feel.
- Motherhood is one of those things that you just have to laugh at. Jessica and I share stories about all those different times in motherhood where you just have to laugh (mainly so you don’t cry) — and how it’s good to laugh in and at these moments.
- Jessica talks about how having kids has strengthened her faith. Many moms would probably agree that if there is one thing that can strengthen your faith and get you on your knees, it’s motherhood.
- Psalms 46:10
- Jessica encourages moms to get in the Word and walk out their faith in all stages of the busy lifestyle of motherhood — whether it’s just little kids or as you go into the “taxi driver stage” of mothering.
- Expectations: We just need to let them go! One of the chapters in her book talks about how as parents we sometimes think that taking toddlers on a plane is a good idea and that things will go great (such a funny chapter!) I share my own funny story about flying with my sweet Wade when he was really little. Let's just say, kids are so humbling!
- One question that I thought would be really fun to ask Jessica about is if she has one really big parenting win. Jessica shares about the one time her middle child refused to go to school, and how on the first day of school (after she spent the night in prayer) he just got up and went.
- Jessica tells her story of her not-typical entrance into motherhood.
- I shared about this sweet YouTube video:
- I'm also working on putting together a business program, and if this is something you'd be interested in learning more about the upcoming webinar, please fill out the form HERE. — I'd love to help you create the business of your dreams!
- Hiding from the Kids in My Prayer Closet
- Read Aloud Family
- Parenting Littles is Fun and Easy
- Don't Say I Didn't Warn You: Kids, Carbs, and the Coming Hormonal Apocalypse
- Parenting Scripts
Be Sure to Connect with Jessica Online:
Connect with Me, too!
Are you new to the Simply Joyful Podcast?
- Join our Simply Joyful Community!: Get encouraging newsletters and a FREE digital copy of my Sanity Savers for Moms book!
- Support the Simply Joyful Podcast: Keep the podcast alive with a small monthly donation. (Thanks so much!)
- Join our Facebook Community, too!: Lots of great conversations and encouragement happening there!
- Check out “My Favorite Things” on Amazon!: See my top recommendations for home organization products, great books, gift ideas, holiday decor, and more!
- Listen to the podcast on your favorite podcast app! Be sure to subscribe, rate, and review the podcast, too, to help others find the Simply Joyful Podcast!!
- Get behind-the-scenes details: I do special videos and live videos on YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook!
- Wanna get healthy with me?: Yep, I'm a health and weight loss coach. I didn’t mention that I have a weight loss program that I love called Optavia! If you are interested in learning more about that and my special coaching program, just head HERE for more info.
LOOKING FOR HELP WITH HOMESCHOOLING?
You may not have seen that I have a brand new How to Homeschool webinar that is now available for instant access. This webinar is ALL of my best homeschooling tips gathered from the six years of speaking at homeschool conventions all wrapped up into one webinar. This is a crazy-amazing resource for you or anyone you know who may be considering homeschooling for the first time ever. With all the new homeschool families this year, I wanted to make sure they had all the best resources possible. The webinar goes over how to get started, how to homeschool simply (even without curriculum), how to balance homeschooling with working at home and just life, how to save money, how to homeschool your school-aged kids with littles in the house…and so much more!
Plus no matter where you are at with your homeschool or “schooling at home” journey, my Ultimate Homeschool Organization course is updated and on sale NOW!
Head over to KristiClover.com/homeschoolwebinar to learn about the webinar or HomeschoolOrganization.com to check out my incredible course. I’ve helped over 1000 families learn how to thrive in their homeschooling and I’d love to help you too.
GET A FREE DIGITAL COPY OF MY SANITY SAVERS FOR MOMS BOOK!
Join our community of moms looking for encouragement to find simple solutions to bring more joy into their #momlife.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.