SJP #049: Renee Carlson: The Importance of Scripture MemorizationFeb 08, 2018
Simply Joyful Podcast — Renee Carlson: The Importance of Scripture Memorization
In the words of Michael W. Smith, “Friends are friends forever if the Lord’s the Lord of them.” Remember that song from way back when? Man, I do. I think I sang it at a high school graduation event for our youth group. I’m giggling right now as I remember my crimped hair and scrunchies singing loud to this song playing on my cassette tape from my boombox. I’m totally dating myself here.
Well, today I have an extraordinary guest on the show: Renee Carlson! Renee is one of my very best friends ever! My forever friend. She and I have known each other for almost 20 years. We were just newly weds when we met…and had our “closet moment” (more on that on the show). We’ve seen each other through the highs and lows of life. I wanted to bring her on the show because she is one of the most amazing women I know. She is a woman of the Word! Not only is she amazing at memorizing Scripture, but she is incredible at listening to the Lord and His promptings and making powerful impacts on the people God brings across her path.
Bible memorization has always been a struggle for me. I have all the desire in the world to be more consistent at storing God’s Word in my brain, but I don’t make the time. As you will hear from Renee today, it’s not about having lots of time. It’s about taking a few moments every day.
This may be one of your favorite episodes because Renee is going to share some very personal stories about times when God brought His Word to her mind in some very dark moments. Those Words came from a storehouse of Scripture that she has memorized through the years. What you may love even more are her tips on how she’s helped her kids to memorize entire chapters of the Bible!
So, you may not recognize Renee by all the books she’s written or because of her large online following. Nope. Renee has never written a book, although I think she should. She’s also not really on social media publically. She’s a great example of the impact you can have on lives just by stepping out and pouring into the people God has placed in your life. You don’t need anything fancy — no platform or fame. Just a mighty God, who wants to use you right where you are at. Get ready to be encouraged!
Highlights from the Show:
- Renee is married to her favorite person, Erik, and is a mom of three.
- We've been really good friends for almost 20 years. We laugh about when we first met — it's such a great story (we refer to it as our “closet moment”). Can't wait for you to hear!
- Early in our relationship, we started sharing honestly with each other. It is so important to have people like this in our lives — someone to call you out on your mistakes (lovingly) and make sure we're on the path that we need to be.
- I remember whenever we'd get together with our other friends, we'd all get excited to hear from Renee and hear all of the crazy things that had happened in her life.
- We share about one hilarious story about when Erik was “attacked” by their awning! Ha!
- Through the years, Erik and Renee have gone through a lot of hard times and struggles. God has taught them so much.
- During one time that Renee and her family were going through a long season of struggles, Renee immersed herself in God's Word.
- If there was one thing that I love about Renee, it is that she is a woman of the Word. In the past five or six years, Renee has memorized and learned so much Scripture.
- She has really devoted herself to learning Scripture. I asked Renee to share her tips on memorizing scripture and how it has impacted her life.
- Isn't it the desire of every parent to hold their children's hearts? I have seen first-hand the tenderness in the Carlson family. Renee gives advice on nurturing your child's heart and having a relationship with them.
- We chat (laugh) about the traumatizing event (for me) when Renee went on a heavy-duty decluttering spree — I'm still haunted!
- Renee shares what her favorite memory verse is — it's not what you think!
- I referred back to my podcast episode with Kat Lee: How to Create a Better Morning Routine.
- Looking for more encouragement on scripture memorization? I love this article in the Old Schoolhouse Magazine that Renee wrote: The Recipe Box: Instant Access to God's Truth through Scripture Memory
- Don't miss my exciting brand new “BONUS” podcast episode on “How to Set Better Goals in 2018!” that was just released on our Simply Joyful Membership site.
- I share my secret to how I've grown my business with B-School! This program has literally changed my business life. Such a wonderful resource and a great investment. I would love to help you start your business journey and help you create a business that you love! Here's the link to get the free business training videos that are available for a limited time: HERE.
- Never Unfriended
- Becoming MomStrong
- Better Together
Connect with Me!
Are you new to the Simply Joyful Podcast?
- Join our Simply Joyful Community!: Get encouraging newsletters and a FREE digital copy of my Sanity Savers for Moms book!
- Support the Simply Joyful Podcast: Keep the podcast alive with a small monthly donation. (Thanks so much!)
- Join our Facebook Community, too!: Lots of great conversations and encouragement happening there!
- Check out “My Favorite Things” on Amazon!: See my top recommendations for home organization products, great books, gift ideas, holiday decor, and more!
- Listen to the podcast on your favorite podcast app! Be sure to subscribe, rate, and review the podcast, too, to help others find the Simply Joyful Podcast!!
- Get behind-the-scenes details: I do special videos and live videos on YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook!
- Wanna get healthy with me?: Yep, I'm a health and weight loss coach. I didn’t mention that I have a weight loss program that I love called Optavia! If you are interested in learning more about that and my special coaching program, just head HERE for more info.
LOOKING FOR HELP WITH HOMESCHOOLING?
You may not have seen that I have a brand new How to Homeschool webinar that is now available for instant access. This webinar is ALL of my best homeschooling tips gathered from the six years of speaking at homeschool conventions all wrapped up into one webinar. This is a crazy-amazing resource for you or anyone you know who may be considering homeschooling for the first time ever. With all the new homeschool families this year, I wanted to make sure they had all the best resources possible. The webinar goes over how to get started, how to homeschool simply (even without curriculum), how to balance homeschooling with working at home and just life, how to save money, how to homeschool your school-aged kids with littles in the house…and so much more!
Plus no matter where you are at with your homeschool or “schooling at home” journey, my Ultimate Homeschool Organization course is updated and on sale NOW!
Head over to KristiClover.com/homeschoolwebinar to learn about the webinar or HomeschoolOrganization.com to check out my incredible course. I’ve helped over 1000 families learn how to thrive in their homeschooling and I’d love to help you too.
GET A FREE DIGITAL COPY OF MY SANITY SAVERS FOR MOMS BOOK!
Join our community of moms looking for encouragement to find simple solutions to bring more joy into their #momlife.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.