SJP #053 Priscilla Shirer: A Story of Redemption and Forgiveness on the Silver ScreenMar 16, 2018
Simply Joyful Podcast — Priscilla Shirer: A Story of Redemption and Forgiveness on the Silver Screen
Most of you probably know my incredibly talented guest, Priscilla Shirer, as a writer and Bible study teacher. However, you may have also discovered that she has some acting chops as well, starring in War Room a few years ago.
Well, I had the incredible honor of interviewing Priscilla this week and discussing her newest role as Mrs. Fincher in the new movie, I Can Only Imagine. Most of us are very familiar with the MercyMe’s hit song, “I Can Only Imagine.” However, not many people know the story behind the song. Bart Millard has an amazing life story filled with pain, abandonment, and abuse — and redemption, forgiveness, and love!
Don’t worry, I didn’t only talk to Priscilla about the movie. I asked her a few listener questions at the end…and her answers were amazing and so ridiculously encouraging!
Highlights from the show:
- Priscilla Shirer is a mother of three boys — two are teens, so she says that her full-time job is keeping them feed (Amen!)
- Priscilla's sister, Chrystal Hurst, is one of my sweet friends who was the guest on episode three, her father is Tony Evans, and her brother was recently on the Voice — it's a bit of an understatement to say that Priscilla comes from a very talented family! Priscilla shares a little about the blessings that the Lord that has bestowed on her family.
- Most listeners will know Priscilla from her Bible study ministry and the fact that she's a writer, but she recently went from writing to acting. I ask Priscilla what it was like transitioning to acting.
- You guys, just wait until you see this trailer (you can watch it below!) I just cried when I saw it! (Which shouldn't really surprise anyone since I'm a crier…) But, this movie is based on MercyMe's hit song, “I Can Only Imagine.” As the director, Jon Erwin, says, “It's the song you know, but the story you don't.” I asked Priscilla to share a little more about what this story is about.
* Be sure to check out my interview below with the co-director of the movie, Jon Erwin!
- I had the opportunity to get a sneak peek at a snippet of Priscilla playing Mrs. Fincher, Bart's (the main character) music teacher. Priscilla explains a little more about who Mrs. Fincher was in Bart's life and why she was so important to him.
- There's a lot of new Christian films popping up here and there — which I love since my family enjoys watching movies together. I Can Only Imagine has at its core a story of redemption and forgiveness. Priscilla shared more about how the gospel is shared within the movie, as well.
- I would love for all my listeners to go out and support this film — there is such power in where you spend your money (especially at the box office), but on a broader note, I asked Priscilla how we can be praying for this film as it hits the box office.
- I Can Only Imagine opens today, March 16th! Be sure to go see it in theaters! — and be sure to watch my interview with the director, Jon Erwin, over on my YouTube channel HERE!
- A Jewel in His Crown
- Discerning the Voice of God
- The Armor of God
- Awaken: 90 Days with the God who Speaks
- I Can Only Imagine: A Friendship with Jesus Now and Forever
- I Can Only Imagine: A Memoir
- I Can Only Imagine Song
Be Sure to Connect with Priscilla Online:
Connect with Me, too!
Are you new to the Simply Joyful Podcast?
- Join our Simply Joyful Community!: Get encouraging newsletters and a FREE digital copy of my Sanity Savers for Moms book!
- Support the Simply Joyful Podcast: Keep the podcast alive with a small monthly donation. (Thanks so much!)
- Join our Facebook Community, too!: Lots of great conversations and encouragement happening there!
- Check out “My Favorite Things” on Amazon!: See my top recommendations for home organization products, great books, gift ideas, holiday decor, and more!
- Listen to the podcast on your favorite podcast app! Be sure to subscribe, rate, and review the podcast, too, to help others find the Simply Joyful Podcast!!
- Get behind-the-scenes details: I do special videos and live videos on YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook!
- Wanna get healthy with me?: Yep, I'm a health and weight loss coach. I didn’t mention that I have a weight loss program that I love called Optavia! If you are interested in learning more about that and my special coaching program, just head HERE for more info.
LOOKING FOR HELP WITH HOMESCHOOLING?
You may not have seen that I have a brand new How to Homeschool webinar that is now available for instant access. This webinar is ALL of my best homeschooling tips gathered from the six years of speaking at homeschool conventions all wrapped up into one webinar. This is a crazy-amazing resource for you or anyone you know who may be considering homeschooling for the first time ever. With all the new homeschool families this year, I wanted to make sure they had all the best resources possible. The webinar goes over how to get started, how to homeschool simply (even without curriculum), how to balance homeschooling with working at home and just life, how to save money, how to homeschool your school-aged kids with littles in the house…and so much more!
Plus no matter where you are at with your homeschool or “schooling at home” journey, my Ultimate Homeschool Organization course is updated and on sale NOW!
Head over to KristiClover.com/homeschoolwebinar to learn about the webinar or HomeschoolOrganization.com to check out my incredible course. I’ve helped over 1000 families learn how to thrive in their homeschooling and I’d love to help you too.
GET A FREE DIGITAL COPY OF MY SANITY SAVERS FOR MOMS BOOK!
Join our community of moms looking for encouragement to find simple solutions to bring more joy into their #momlife.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.