SJP #054 Sarah Mackenzie: The Power of Being a Read Aloud FamilyMar 23, 2018
Simply Joyful Podcast — Sarah Mackenzie: The Power of Being a Read Aloud Family
My amazing guest today, Sarah Mackenzie, is best known for her podcast The Read-Aloud Revival. Her podcast has actually done just that — it has brought a revival to families coming together around a book. To say that I’m excited to finally get to release this interview with Sarah to you is an understatement. I had a blast talking with Sarah. She has a twinkle in her voice that just lets you know she’s smiling on the other side of the mic.
Her new book, The Read-Aloud Family, is incredible! What a resource for families to have. I’ve long been a fan of the book, Honey for a Child’s Heart since it has a such a great list of books for our kids to read. However, Sarah’s new book has a vast list of books to read as a family. I find myself talking about and recommending her book already…and it’s not officially out yet.
This episode might end up being another one of your favorites. Sarah is a delightful guest and her new book is sure to be a treasure for all families! Get Ready to be encouraged!
Highlights from the Show:
- Sarah’s goal at the Read-Aloud Revival is for parents to make meaningful and lasting connections with their kids (she has 6!) through books. She shares more about why she wrote The Read-Aloud Family (it wasn’t on purpose!)
- Sarah has started a read-aloud revolution. I love the story that she shares at the beginning of her book about where her vision for the read-aloud revival came from. I asked Sarah to share a little more about her vision and story.
- We share fun stories about our mutual friend Andrew Pudewa from Institute for Excellence in Writing — we love him!
- One of my favorite parts of Sarah’s book is her book recommendations! Sarah says it’s one of her favorite parts as well — book recommendations are her love language. (There are over 400 recommendations in the book!) If the thought of a list of looking through 400 books is completely overwhelming to you, I asked Sarah for her top picks for great starter books for reading aloud.
- One of the things I thought was interesting in Sarah’s book is that she mentions the 5-myths of reading aloud to kids. I asked Sarah to share a little about these 5 myths and some tips for each of them. You're going to love them.
- We talk about our family's book-to-movie rule: Need to read the book first. I asked Sarah for suggestions on how families can get a little more out of movie watching by reading the book together first.
- Sarah gives a tip in the book that I just love — what kids can be doing during read-aloud time. Sarah shares how letting kids move their hands while listening to the book you’re reading actually means they are listening better. If this is something you are struggling with during your read-aloud time, you’re definitely going to want to pick up a copy of Sarah’s book. There a list of age-appropriate activities for kids to do during read-aloud time!
- We had so many great reader questions this week! We weren’t able to discuss them all, but we did discuss getting started with reading journals and how Sarah balances being a working mom and a homeschool mom.
- Andrew Pudewa's Nurturing Confident Communicators
- Harry Potter, Jesus, and Me
- Sarah's Reader Guide Printable for Reading the book and enjoying the movie!
- Needing ideas for what kids can do while parents read aloud? Sarah has compiled a great list HERE (and there are even more ideas in her book!)
- Also, Sarah mentioned a study proving why it's beneficial to let your kids move around while you read — you can read the full study HERE.
- We chatted in this episode about starting with reading journals. Sarah mentioned that she had a podcast and printable on simple reading journals! You can find that episode HERE.
- Sarah also mentioned she loved marking books with book darts. You can get your own book darts HERE.
- Read-Aloud Family
- The Read-Aloud Handbook
- Ember Rising
- Harry Potter
- Mr. Popper's Penguins
- Teaching From Rest
- The Green Ember
- The Chronicles of Narnia
- Murder on the Orient Express
- A Wrinkle in Time
- The Little House
- Honey for a Child's Heart
- Ember Falls
- Autobiography of Mark Twain
- Lord of the Rings
- Swiss Family Robinson
- The White Knight
Be Sure to Connect with Sarah Online:
Connect with Me, too!
Are you new to the Simply Joyful Podcast?
- Join our Simply Joyful Community!: Get encouraging newsletters and a FREE digital copy of my Sanity Savers for Moms book!
- Support the Simply Joyful Podcast: Keep the podcast alive with a small monthly donation. (Thanks so much!)
- Join our Facebook Community, too!: Lots of great conversations and encouragement happening there!
- Check out “My Favorite Things” on Amazon!: See my top recommendations for home organization products, great books, gift ideas, holiday decor, and more!
- Listen to the podcast on your favorite podcast app! Be sure to subscribe, rate, and review the podcast, too, to help others find the Simply Joyful Podcast!!
- Get behind-the-scenes details: I do special videos and live videos on YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook!
- Wanna get healthy with me?: Yep, I'm a health and weight loss coach. I didn’t mention that I have a weight loss program that I love called Optavia! If you are interested in learning more about that and my special coaching program, just head HERE for more info.
LOOKING FOR HELP WITH HOMESCHOOLING?
You may not have seen that I have a brand new How to Homeschool webinar that is now available for instant access. This webinar is ALL of my best homeschooling tips gathered from the six years of speaking at homeschool conventions all wrapped up into one webinar. This is a crazy-amazing resource for you or anyone you know who may be considering homeschooling for the first time ever. With all the new homeschool families this year, I wanted to make sure they had all the best resources possible. The webinar goes over how to get started, how to homeschool simply (even without curriculum), how to balance homeschooling with working at home and just life, how to save money, how to homeschool your school-aged kids with littles in the house…and so much more!
Plus no matter where you are at with your homeschool or “schooling at home” journey, my Ultimate Homeschool Organization course is updated and on sale NOW!
Head over to KristiClover.com/homeschoolwebinar to learn about the webinar or HomeschoolOrganization.com to check out my incredible course. I’ve helped over 1000 families learn how to thrive in their homeschooling and I’d love to help you too.
GET A FREE DIGITAL COPY OF MY SANITY SAVERS FOR MOMS BOOK!
Join our community of moms looking for encouragement to find simple solutions to bring more joy into their #momlife.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.