SJP #84: Sacred Marriage with Gary ThomasFeb 06, 2020
Simply Joyful Podcast — Sacred Marriage with Gary Thomas
I’m SO excited for today’s episode with Gary Thomas! If you do not know who Gary Thomas is he is the author of Sacred Marriage: What if God Designed Marriage to Make Us Holy More than to Make Us Happy? I’m not sure if you know about Sacred Marriage, but I know all about Sacred Marriage. In fact, it is newly updated and refreshed. This book came out fifteen years ago and was very monumental in helping me through a hard time in our marriage. I was so thrilled to be able to chat with Gary — this is probably one of my all-time favorite interviews. He is so easy to talk to and his stories are amazing!
Also, just a quick note, you’ll want to make sure you listen until the very end. We have probably one of the funniest transitions I’ve ever had here on the podcast!
I know that you're going to love this episode with Gary! Get ready to be encouraged!
In this episode of the Simply Joyful Podcast we discuss:
- Did you know Gary Thomas has been writing since he was eight! And he and his wife have been married for thirty-five and a half years! — Gary shares all his marriage wisdom on today’s show!
- Gary shares a humorous story on a time when he was mistaken for the author who wrote the Five Love Languages book who is also a Gary! So many Gary’s writing marriage books!
- I love the subtitle of Gary’s book, What if God Designed Marriage to Make Us Holy More than to Make Us Happy? — it’s a total mike drop, but did you know that wasn’t the first subtitle? Gary shares the original subtitle, and why he’s glad it didn’t make the final cut.
- I love that Gary’s book made me realize that God was using my marriage to refine me and to refine my husband. I love that aspect of Sacred Marriage. We talk about how you don’t have to be an expert in a field (Gary isn’t a marriage counselor or therapist) in order to make a big impact.
- Gary wants to make sure that readers (and listeners) know that he’s not preaching that to have a holy marriage, you have to be unhappy. It isn’t an either/or thing. Gary dives a little bit deeper into what exactly the subtitle of his book is saying.
- We dive into why it’s so important to fight for your marriage (especially when things get hard). Gary shares how one of his favorite things that just blows him away are couples that introduce him to their “Sacred Marriage Babies”!
- We touch a little on the differences between a difficult marriage and a toxic marriage — and Biblical reasons for divorce.
- Gary chats a little bit about what’s different in the new updated version of Sacred Marriage.
- There are almost twenty years between the original and the updated book. I asked Gary to explain how he dealt with the changes in how marriage is viewed today (there aren’t as many young brides as when it first came out!)
- We talk about why you need to work on your relationship with God first, and why it’s so important to get together and pray.
- We briefly talk about Gary’s new book, When to Walk Away: Finding Freedom from Toxic People — which I know is a switch from marriage, but just go with me!
Resources, books, and links mentioned in this episode:
- Gary shares how he’s pretty sure his book, Sacred Marriage, is more popular than he is — have you read it yet?
- James 3:2 — we all stumble in many ways.
- While we only briefly mentioned it, Gary has another wonderful “sacred” book Sacred Parenting. If you haven’t picked up this book, it’s one that I would recommend!
- 1 John 3:1 - Seeing God not only as your heavenly father but your heavenly father-in-law.
- I know this episode is about marriage, but Gary has a new book out, When to Walk Away, and, you guys, it’s just as good as his other books! You should really pick this one up!
- Matthew 6:33 — Jesus tells us to go on the offense.
- Matthew 7:6 — don’t give what is holy to the dogs!
Connect with Gary Online!
Connect with Me Online!
Are you new to the Simply Joyful Podcast?
- Join our Simply Joyful Community!: Get encouraging newsletters and a FREE digital copy of my Sanity Savers for Moms book!
- Support the Simply Joyful Podcast: Keep the podcast alive with a small monthly donation. (Thanks so much!)
- Join our Facebook Community, too!: Lots of great conversations and encouragement happening there!
- Check out “My Favorite Things” on Amazon!: See my top recommendations for home organization products, great books, gift ideas, holiday decor, and more!
- Listen to the podcast on your favorite podcast app! Be sure to subscribe, rate, and review the podcast, too, to help others find the Simply Joyful Podcast!!
- Get behind-the-scenes details: I do special videos and live videos on YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook!
- Wanna get healthy with me?: Yep, I'm a health and weight loss coach. I didn’t mention that I have a weight loss program that I love called Optavia! If you are interested in learning more about that and my special coaching program, just head HERE for more info.
LOOKING FOR HELP WITH HOMESCHOOLING?
You may not have seen that I have a brand new How to Homeschool webinar that is now available for instant access. This webinar is ALL of my best homeschooling tips gathered from the six years of speaking at homeschool conventions all wrapped up into one webinar. This is a crazy-amazing resource for you or anyone you know who may be considering homeschooling for the first time ever. With all the new homeschool families this year, I wanted to make sure they had all the best resources possible. The webinar goes over how to get started, how to homeschool simply (even without curriculum), how to balance homeschooling with working at home and just life, how to save money, how to homeschool your school-aged kids with littles in the house…and so much more!
Plus no matter where you are at with your homeschool or “schooling at home” journey, my Ultimate Homeschool Organization course is updated and on sale NOW!
Head over to KristiClover.com/homeschoolwebinar to learn about the webinar or HomeschoolOrganization.com to check out my incredible course. I’ve helped over 1000 families learn how to thrive in their homeschooling and I’d love to help you too.
GET A FREE DIGITAL COPY OF MY SANITY SAVERS FOR MOMS BOOK!
Join our community of moms looking for encouragement to find simple solutions to bring more joy into their #momlife.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.