SJP #91 & 92: Keeping Kids Safe Online with Kristen JensonMar 26, 2020
Simply Joyful Podcast — Keeping Kids Safe Online with Kristen Jenson
Today we have none other than Kristen Jenson coming on the podcast. Kristen is best known for her book series Good Pictures Bad Pictures and she knows a lot about keeping kids safe online. You will not want to miss this, and part two, of this conversation because it is so important. You are going to get concrete, practical tools on how to protect your kids from the things that are online that are not safe.
Kristen is the founder of ProtectYoungMinds.org — a website dedicated to helping parents empower their kids to resist and reject pornography. She is a strong voice for protecting children from all forms of sexual exploitation and has testified before the Washington State Senate Law on the public health crisis of pornography. Kristen has two daughters and has recently become a grandma! She lives with her husband and Schnoodle puppy in the beautiful state of Washington.
Disclaimer: Please know this is an adult conversation. While we don't get into anything crass, we do talk the truth about a very serious subject.
I know that you're going to love this episode with Kristen! Get ready to be encouraged!
In Part One of this episode of the Simply Joyful Podcast we discuss:
- Kristen wants to be clear that she isn't the "porn lady" (which she has been called before). She is the "anti-porn lady" — which she shares she honestly never wanted to have anything to do with porn in the first place, but the Lord had different plans.
- We chat a little about the history of porn and how easy it is for kids to get their hands on porn these days! I am so thankful to Kristen for writing these books as such a great resource for parents.
- When is a good time to have the porn conversation with your kids? Kristen always says #soonerissafer — she unpacks this just a little bit.
- Men get such a bad rap for porn — everyone thinks that men are the only ones who struggle with it. However, statistics show that women struggle just as much with it. Also, what is shocking is that the statistics of kids that struggle with it are rising at such a fast pace. I asked Kristen to explain why porn is so addictive.
- Do I have to have the sex talk with my kid before I talk to them about porn? This is one question that I see pop up so many times. I asked Kristen to unpack why — or why not — you need to have the sex talk pre-porn talk.
- I want to get practical. Kristen has amazing tips on how to teach kids what to do if they encounter pornography.
In Part Two of this episode of the Simply Joyful Podcast we discuss:
- Okay, we've talked so much about how kids can see and be exposed to pornography on computers and on friend's devices, but the truth of the matter is, they can also be exposed on parent's devices as well (I don't care if you do lock your phone ... kids have ways...) It is so important to put safeguards in place! We chat about some tips and resources to keep our kids safe while online.
- Kristen chats about why letting your young child lie about their age to get a social media account can really come back to haunt you as a parent — we also talk about different apps and how the apps are self-rating for younger children.
- The biggest growing crime in the U.S. with kids is sextortion. Kristen explains what it is, and how we can protect our kids from it.
Resources, books, and links mentioned in both episodes:
- Want some advice + resources to homeschool your family? I have put together some great resources + a free printable just for you!
- You can get Kristen's "Turn-Run-and-Tell" poster (and other wonderful resources for FREE!) by going to her website HERE.
- Great resources for our computers and devices are Accountable2You and ConvenantEyes. We've also used DisneyCircle.
- A great resource for watching videos is VidAngel — we also research every movie via PluggedIn and/or CommonSense.
- Most filters can't filter a website. Bark is good to use as a parental control app.
- A book that Kristen recommends for you to read if you have girls is the book American Girls: Social Media and the Secret Lives of Teens.
- One curriculum that we take all our kids through once they hit 13 is Passport2Purity.
Connect with Kristen Jenson Online!
Connect with Me Online!
Are you new to the Simply Joyful Podcast?
- Join our Simply Joyful Community!: Get encouraging newsletters and a FREE digital copy of my Sanity Savers for Moms book!
- Support the Simply Joyful Podcast: Keep the podcast alive with a small monthly donation. (Thanks so much!)
- Join our Facebook Community, too!: Lots of great conversations and encouragement happening there!
- Check out “My Favorite Things” on Amazon!: See my top recommendations for home organization products, great books, gift ideas, holiday decor, and more!
- Listen to the podcast on your favorite podcast app! Be sure to subscribe, rate, and review the podcast, too, to help others find the Simply Joyful Podcast!!
- Get behind-the-scenes details: I do special videos and live videos on YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook!
- Wanna get healthy with me?: Yep, I'm a health and weight loss coach. I didn’t mention that I have a weight loss program that I love called Optavia! If you are interested in learning more about that and my special coaching program, just head HERE for more info.
LOOKING FOR HELP WITH HOMESCHOOLING?
You may not have seen that I have a brand new How to Homeschool webinar that is now available for instant access. This webinar is ALL of my best homeschooling tips gathered from the six years of speaking at homeschool conventions all wrapped up into one webinar. This is a crazy-amazing resource for you or anyone you know who may be considering homeschooling for the first time ever. With all the new homeschool families this year, I wanted to make sure they had all the best resources possible. The webinar goes over how to get started, how to homeschool simply (even without curriculum), how to balance homeschooling with working at home and just life, how to save money, how to homeschool your school-aged kids with littles in the house…and so much more!
Plus no matter where you are at with your homeschool or “schooling at home” journey, my Ultimate Homeschool Organization course is updated and on sale NOW!
Head over to KristiClover.com/homeschoolwebinar to learn about the webinar or HomeschoolOrganization.com to check out my incredible course. I’ve helped over 1000 families learn how to thrive in their homeschooling and I’d love to help you too.
GET A FREE DIGITAL COPY OF MY SANITY SAVERS FOR MOMS BOOK!
Join our community of moms looking for encouragement to find simple solutions to bring more joy into their #momlife.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.