SJP #027: Kristin Schell: The Art of Practicing HospitalitySep 18, 2017
Simply Joyful Podcast — Kristin Schell: The Art of Practicing Hospitality
If you are not already familiar with Kristin and her turquoise table, after today, you are going to want to run out and check out her amazing new book The Turquoise Table. It’s about finding community and connecting with those in your community in your own front yard.
You are in for a treat today. Romans 12 is one of my favorite passages—especially verses 12-13, which talk about the “practicing hospitality.” This is what we are talking about today—hospitality. We all have a lot of gifts from the Lord. As I’ve mentioned on other episodes, I love helping people. A passion of mine to help people simplify—to know when to say “no” to the things that we can, so we can say “yes” to the things that God wants us focused on. When we start simplifying, we start seeing the joy that comes from that.
One of the major themes that you will see woven into each of these podcasts is guests who have said “yes” to God in one way or another. Even when we say “yes” to the most simple of things, God can show up and use that in a big way—just like He used the little boy with his loaves of bread and fishes. That’s exactly what we’re going to hear in this episode. How one person said yes to God in the area of hospitality.
We all have different gifts, but God tells us to practice hospitality! Today we’re going to break down the difference between hospitality and entertaining. Hospitality is opening the door. And as you will hear in this episode, Kristin says you can say “yes” to God and “yes” to hospitality and you don’t even have to open your door! That’s just one of the many things that I love about this episode—we simplify hospitality! When you think of the story of Mary and Martha, you have Martha trying to do it all—trying to be hospitable, and Mary who sitting at the feet of Jesus. That’s what I want to encourage you guys today. Sometimes we get caught up in the busyness of hospitality, and sometimes we just need to sit with the people that Jesus is bringing to us.
I am ultra-excited for you to listen to this episode today! Get ready to be encouraged!
Highlights from the Show:
- Kristin shares when she isn’t chauffeuring her three kids around in her van (which she swears should have its own zip code) she is hanging out at her turquoise table. She shares the story behind putting a turquoise table in her front yard, and why.
- It wasn’t my idea, it was an answer to a prayer. —Kristin Schell
- The Lord had to teach me the difference between hospitality and entertaining. — Kristin Schell
- Kristin shares about the day that she got the message from the Lord loud and clear. At the height of her spiritual meltdown she happened to be attending a discipleship conference. While there she watched a documentary that got her thinking about hospitality. When she ordered a picnic table needed for extra seating for an upcoming party, she had no idea what would enfold.
- You can’t be what you can’t see. —Jo Saxon
- Kristen goes on to share how the idea of community in her front yard caught on, how God stepped in, and how the rest of her neighbors felt about the table in her front yard.
- Something Kristin didn’t expect was the Turquoise table movement to begin.
- What is it that God’s people are longing for that this thing is happening? —Kristin Schell
- All of these “I” devices are changing how we communicate. —Kristin Schell
- We are losing the art of communication. —Kristi Clover
- I ask Kristin to share the first time that a table made a big impact on her.
- Kristin shares a few tips on simplifying hospitality and how we can break free from “picture perfect”.
- Greek for hospitality is “Love of Strangers.” — Kristin Schell
- A table outside = the greatest hospitality hack ever. —Kristin Schell
- When you start connecting people, you start having issues (right?) Kristin shares about how to share with your neighbors while also dealing with the not-so-pretty part of relationships.
- We’re never fighting about what we’re really fighting about, there’s always an underlining issues. Get to the root of it. —Kristin Schell
- Kristin talks about how her line, exclusively sold at Tuesday Morning, came about—completely organically and very much God-touched.
- Kristin is also working with ReWork project, a non-profit based in Austin, TX. You can find out more about this ministry here.
- I love watching people going through the process of getting a table and seeing how they use it. —Kristin Schell
- I close out the podcast sharing a hospitality (and organization) hack of my own!
Be Sure to Connect with Tricia Online:
Connect with Me, too!
Are you new to the Simply Joyful Podcast?
- Join our Simply Joyful Community!: Get encouraging newsletters and a FREE digital copy of my Sanity Savers for Moms book!
- Support the Simply Joyful Podcast: Keep the podcast alive with a small monthly donation. (Thanks so much!)
- Join our Facebook Community, too!: Lots of great conversations and encouragement happening there!
- Check out “My Favorite Things” on Amazon!: See my top recommendations for home organization products, great books, gift ideas, holiday decor, and more!
- Listen to the podcast on your favorite podcast app! Be sure to subscribe, rate, and review the podcast, too, to help others find the Simply Joyful Podcast!!
- Get behind-the-scenes details: I do special videos and live videos on YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook!
- Wanna get healthy with me?: Yep, I'm a health and weight loss coach. I didn’t mention that I have a weight loss program that I love called Optavia! If you are interested in learning more about that and my special coaching program, just head HERE for more info.
LOOKING FOR HELP WITH HOMESCHOOLING?
You may not have seen that I have a brand new How to Homeschool webinar that is now available for instant access. This webinar is ALL of my best homeschooling tips gathered from the six years of speaking at homeschool conventions all wrapped up into one webinar. This is a crazy-amazing resource for you or anyone you know who may be considering homeschooling for the first time ever. With all the new homeschool families this year, I wanted to make sure they had all the best resources possible. The webinar goes over how to get started, how to homeschool simply (even without curriculum), how to balance homeschooling with working at home and just life, how to save money, how to homeschool your school-aged kids with littles in the house…and so much more!
Plus no matter where you are at with your homeschool or “schooling at home” journey, my Ultimate Homeschool Organization course is updated and on sale NOW!
Head over to KristiClover.com/homeschoolwebinar to learn about the webinar or HomeschoolOrganization.com to check out my incredible course. I’ve helped over 1000 families learn how to thrive in their homeschooling and I’d love to help you too.
GET A FREE DIGITAL COPY OF MY SANITY SAVERS FOR MOMS BOOK!
Join our community of moms looking for encouragement to find simple solutions to bring more joy into their #momlife.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.